During the dreary days of monsoon one feels like tucking into hearty and warming food. And there is nothing like adrak to heat up ones waterlogged and flagging spirits . Put small chunks of ginger in chai and boil away till the tannins from the tea leaves make the spoon stand upright in the cup .
And then cut yourself a thick slice of this delicious moist bread made with Soonth ( ginger powder ) and Kakvi ( sugar cane treacle ).
225 gms of chopped tart, greenish apples/ About 2 apples
1 tbs water
2 tbs ground sugar
85 gms butter
60 gms light brown sugar
2 tbs Kakvi.(sugar cane treacle)
225 gms maida ( white flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp dalchini (cinnamon powder)
1 tsp soonth ( dried ginger powder)
Heat your OTG or oven till 180 degrees.
- Cover and boil the apples with the sugar and water till soft. Mash well and set aside till cool .
- Melt the butter with the Kakvii and brown sugar. Cool a little and add the egg and whisk till mixed.
- Add the cooled apple mash and stir.
- Mix all the dry ingredients, the flour, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the butter and apple mixture. Stir till smooth.
- Spoon into greased loaf /tube tin. 7. Cook in 180 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Check by inserting a fork into the loaf. it should come out clean. Remove and cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out.
- You can sift some caster sugar on top or make a ginger icing sugar to prettify the bread. I just like to eat it plain.
- Certainly brightens up a rainy day!!