We love having guests over, especially the kind that enjoy food and even better, the ones that love cooking.
Right now we have Sipee , a bright and chatty Nepali girl stay with us.She treated us yesterday to a typical dish from Nepal, often served when entertaining. -Aloo Achaar.
This is meant to be eaten like a koshimbir, a tablepoon or two along with your main dish.
It looks to be a keeper...I can see us making this very often from now on.
1/2 kg baby potatoes
2 tablepoons sesame seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
A pinch of turmeric
A generous pinch of red chilli powder
Juice of 1 lime or a teapoon of "Chuk" (Nepali black lime paste)
2-4 green chillies, sliced in the length ( add more according to taste)
2 teaspoon mustard oil
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1.Boil the potatoes till done. Peel.
2.Grind the toasted sesame seeds into a powder and mix with the other spices.
3. Add this mixture to the cooked potatoes and stir well with the aid of a tablepoon or two of water.
4. Add the lime juice and mix again.
5. Set aside for 15 minutes.
6. Top with the sliced green chillies.
7. Heat the oil and fry the fenugreek seeds till they pop. Pour this seasoning over the potatoes and serve.
Its absolutely delicious.
PS No time to take a photo...we ate it all up instantly.! <