I love eating this salad in the monsoon. It substantial but vegetarian, cooling and warming, complex and simple. Ready to eat in half an hour and still delicious a day later.
1 cup of mixed beans- red kidney beans (rajmha), pink kidney beans, chick peas, (kabuli channa ), dried green peas, green gram , black eyed peas or soya beans. Soak in 4 cups of boiling water for an hour.
2 sprigs of thyme
1 cup of pearl barley cooked for 30 minutes.( or 1 cup cooked finger millet)
½ cup grape tomatoes, cut in halves
Two handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped and wilted over low flame for 3 minutes, till cooked.
½ cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
½ red onion finely chopped
1 cup finely shredded cabbage.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt and Pepper
1. Pressure cook the soaked and drained beans in 500 ml water with a few sprigs of fresh or dried thyme for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and let the pressure come down normally. Open cooker and remove thyme sprigs. Drain and reserve any cooking liquid.
2. Mix with the cooked and fluffy pearl barley.
3. Add the tomatoes, spinach, cabbage, coriander and onion and mix well.
4. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Make a dressing of two tablespoons olive oil and two tablespoons lime juice. Mix with a little of the reserved cooking liquid.Pour over salad and serve warm or cold.