Its been a rainy day.Its been a rainy week. The only thing to do on this kind of day is to put something on the fire to stew slowly and fill the house with its aroma while listening to music and reading. The anticipation of a warm, filling dinner makes the monsoon greys less dreary.
So out comes the latest cook pot, a handmade ceramic dutch oven which is unusual because it is flame proof , withstanding direct heat on the stove top and if necessary can be popped in the oven too.
Since I have friends from Mexico staying I thought the following dish would give them a taste of home.
125 gms dried mixed beans, (kidney beans, chick peas, black eyed beans, green peas) , rajmha, kabuli channa, green peas,black beans, chawlai
1/2 tablespoon vegtable oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 green or red chilli
1 large green pepper/simla mirchi, cut into 1/2 in pieces
3 tomatoes , pulped into juice in a blender
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon chilli sauce
1 chicken bouillon cube or 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon brown sugar
200 gms minced chicked
- Wash and soak the dried beans in 500 ml of boiling hot water for an hour. Drain.
- Heat the oil and fry the garlic and chilli for a minute. Add the onion and saute till golden brown.
- Add the green pepper bits and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the pulped tomatoes, chilli sauce, vinegar, sugar and salt. Cook for five minutes.
- Add the beans and 400 ml water to the pot and cooked on very low heat for 3 hours. You can use a heat diffuser under the pot if necessary.
- Add the minced chicken and mix to seperate the bits. Cook for another hour.
- Garnish with grated cheese and chopped coriander.
Eat with crusty bread or a warmed tortilla. Delicious!